Wednesday, November 12, 2008

In Memory of Jesus and the Saints

Daily Meditation for November 12, 2008
written by Henri Nouwen

In Memory of Jesus and the Saints

Belonging to the communion of saints means being connected
with all people transformed by the Spirit of Jesus. This
connection is deep and intimate. Those who have lived as
brothers and sisters of Jesus continue to live within us,
even though they have died, just as Jesus continues to live
within us, even though he has died.

We live our lives in memory of Jesus and the saints, and
this memory is a real presence. Jesus and his saints are
part of our most intimate and spiritual knowledge of God.
They inspire us, guide us, encourage us, and give us hope.
They are the source of our constant transformation. Yes, we
carry them in our bodies and thus keep them alive for all
with whom we live and work.

Footnote: I am just very recently coming into a better understanding of the communion of saints and it is such a comfort to ponder on Nathan's continuing "to live within us". It makes me feel much more "normal" for lack of a better word to realize that it is natural to "carry [him] in our bodies and thus keep[ing] [him] alive for all with whom we live"... I'm not sure, but I think it's helping me realize that I haven't had that desire for Jesus, not that deep burning, want Him with me all the time, feeling. Thank you Nathan for giving me direction, and thank you Jesus for speaking through this awfulness as I stumble along trying to figure out what I am supposed to be doing. I love you both so much.

2 comments:

  1. "I haven't had that desire for Jesus, not that deep burning, want Him with me all the time,feeling."
    What an eye opener Lin! I know He's with me all the time and I talk to Him all the time but I never thought about whether I had that deep burning feeling of wanting Him with me all the time. I guess I just take it for granted! Sure don't know what I'd do if He wasn't there for me all the time!
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    Love you,
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lora, Maybe I need a little clarification.

    I at times in my life, have felt that, times when I'm walking close to Him.

    But when I compare the gut wrenching grief and desire, that I do, to see Nathan in the flesh again, it's different. I touched Nathan, felt his warmth and his skin. He was a hairy guy, and I can even still feel his hairy arms. I remember how his hair felt, and his scent.

    I've never seen Jesus, so I can't do that.

    My is that now I at least know what I am to be working for. To feel Jesus presence just as surely as I do Nathan's. :-)

    ReplyDelete